No matter how perfect QuickBooks is, there are always errors and technical glitches in it. The most annoying error that users face is QuickBooks error 6147 that arises when a user attempts to open the company file or restore a backup. When it comes to the reasons behind this error, there are many, change in the location of the company file, long file name, damaged or corrupted QuickBooks configuration files, and many others. The error shows up on the screen with a message, “ We’re sorry. QuickBooks couldn’t open your company file.” However, a correct troubleshooting procedure can help resolve the issue. Follow the complete blog for more details on QuickBooks company file error 6147, its causes, and troubleshooting techniques.
Why take so much pressure to resolve QuickBooks error 6147 when our QuickBooks technical support team is available to do it for you. Simply dial +1 800-579-9430 and let them handle the rest
Top reasons causing QuickBooks File error 6147
There can be multiple reasons behind this file error in QuickBooks. Have a look at some most common of them listed below:
- Windows firewall’s interruption with QuickBooks while connecting to the company file stored on the host computer.
- Working on an outdated QuickBooks Desktop.
- Damage or corruption in the .nd and .tlg configuration files of QuickBooks.
Follow the troubleshooting methods given in the next section of the blog to get rid of the issue.
Methods to Troubleshoot & Fix QuickBooks Company File error 6147
Method 1. Ensure you have the latest QuickBooks Desktop update
Each update comes up with new features and fixes, resulting in the smooth functioning of QuickBooks. If your QuickBooks Desktop application is not updated, follow the steps given below and download the update manually:
- Close up all open company files and then quit QuickBooks.
- Click the Windows icon, scroll through the programs, and right-click the QuickBooks Desktop icon.
- Choose Run as administrator and go to the No Company Open window.
- Select the Help menu and then the Update QuickBooks Desktop option.
- Choose the Options menu, then Mark All, and then Save.
- Proceed to the Update Now tab and mark the Reset Update checkbox.
- When you are done, click Get Updates to download the update file.
- Open QuickBooks and follow the prompt steps to install the update.
- Restart your workstation.
If the file error continues, move on to the next method.
You may also Read : QuickBooks error 6069
Method 2. Install QuickBooks Tool Hub and use Quick Fix my Program
The tool is specifically designed by Intuit to repair QuickBooks. It also shuts down background processes interfering with QuickBooks:
- Foremost, close company files and then quit QuickBooks Desktop.
- Get the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file and save it to Downloads.
- Open the Downloads folder and then the QuickBooks Tool Hub setup file.
- Follow the step-wise instructions to install the program and tick the agree to the terms and conditions checkbox.
- Look for the QuickBooks Tool Hub icon on your Windows desktop once the installation completes.
- Open the Tool Hub by double-clicking the icon and then choose Program Problems.
- Click Quick Fix my Program and let it resolve program issues within QuickBooks.
- Now, start QuickBooks and open the company file.
If you still get the same error, proceed to the next method.
Method 3. Fix the damaged QuickBooks configuration files by renaming
- Locate and open the folder where company files are saved.
- Search the company files with .nd and .tlg extensions.
- Right-click each file and select the Rename option.
- Write .old at the end of both the file names and tap Enter.
- Open QuickBooks again.
If the error persists, follow the next method.
Method 4. Recheck the location of the QuickBooks company file
- Start QuickBooks and go to the Product Information window.
- From the File Information section, note down the company file location.
- Open the folder where company files are saved and look for the file with the .qbw extension.
- Right-click the file and choose Open File Location.
- Shift the company file to the correct location, then open QuickBooks.
We are optimistic that the methods discussed in the blog will help you get rid of QuickBooks error 6147. If you are still struggling with the same issue, dial our customer support number +1 800-579-9430 and consult certified QuickBooks professionals.
Related Article : QuickBooks error 176