One QuickBooks error that prevents you from opening the company file is QuickBooks error 6073 that notifies users that the company file is already being accessed by some other user. The exact error message that appears on the users screen reads “QuickBooks is unable to open this company file. It may have been opened by another user.” If you are also facing the same issue even after verifying that no other user is accessing the company file, you will need to perform some troubleshooting to get rid of the error. In this article we have mentioned all the reasons that can trigger such an error in QuickBooks and solutions that will help you rectify it with least efforts possible. So, stick to this article until the end for detailed info.
Let the experts handle troubleshooting if you are new to QuickBooks. Dial 1.800.579.0391 and get in touch with QuickBooks support team for immediate help and assistance
What Could Possibly Lead to QuickBooks Desktop Error 6073
- If the company file is being accessed on a different computer by another user in single-user mode.
- The folder that has the company file has its properties set to read-only.
- You might be trying to access the company file using a remote software like Logmein.
Moving forward, we will take a look at some quick troubleshooting solutions that will eradicate the above-mentioned causes in the shortest time possible.
Recommended to read : QuickBooks Error 6177
Instant Solutions to Fix QuickBooks Company File Error 6073
Solution 1: Fix the File Hosting Settings on Every System connected in the Network
- First ask every user in the network to log out from the company file.
- Now go to each workstation connected to the server and switch it to single-user mode.
- Next, move to the server and switch QuickBooks to Multi-user mode on it.
- Go back to your workstation where you were facing issues accessing the company file an retry to open it.
If you face the same error again, move to the next troubleshooting solution.
Solution 2: Change the Folder Properties that is having the Company File
- Go to system where the company file is saved and navigate to the company file folder.
- Right-click the folder and select the Properties option.
- Next uncheck the Read-Only option and click Apply and OK to save the changes.
- Now run QuickBooks on your workstation and check if you can access the company file now.
The last solution is to access the company file in the local network without using any remote software. If you have saved the company file on a different network, move it to the local network and access it from any system connected to the network.
There are still possibilities that you might get QuickBooks error 6073 even after implementing all the solutions mentioned above. This could happen if there is a damage in the QuickBooks Desktop or the company file. In such circumstances, we suggest you strop troubleshooting the error on your own and dial 1.800.579.0391 to reach QuickBooks support team for advanced troubleshooting help and assistance.