Demat account is the digital method to hold and track the number of securities in one place in a digital or electronic form. You don’t have to log in to several accounts or contact people to cross-verify your debit or credit transactions. You can check your Demat Account Statement to check the trade.
What is a demat account?
Demat account is the online repository provided by the central depositories – NSDL (National Securities Deposited Limited) and CDSL (Central Depository Services Limited) through their registered agents, called depository participants. Depending on your usage, you can open a free demat account or an advanced service demat account with a discount broker for a low brokerage trading account.
How to access your demat account
You can access your demat account at the official websites of CDSL and NSDL. In case you do not know with which depository your depository participant is registered, you can find it out by looking at your demat account number.
A demat account with CDSL consists of 16 numeric digits. After successful registration, you can check your demat securities. The valuation will be based on last day’s closing price. Other facilities of ”Easi Account” include downloading 30 days transaction details, Consolidated Account Statement (CAS) of previous months, and corporate announcements monitoring.
To access the CAS through ”Easi Account”, you need to follow these steps:
- Visit the CDSL website> Click CAS Login.
- Input your PAN details, customer ID, and Date of Birth.
- Verify the Captcha, enter the OTP, and submit.
Make sure you have your registered mobile number to receive the OTP.
If your account is with NSDL, you need to register at IDeAs to view your demat securities. You will find the registration option in the eServices option at the official website of NSDL.
With NSDL, it is prefixed with two letters, ”IN” and followed by 14 numeric digits. Here also, DP ID is the first 8 digits of your demat account, including the prefix ”IN”. After the successful registration, take the screenshot of the email received and send it to your DP to request access.
Like CDSL’s Easi, NSDL’s IDeAS facilities include downloading the Consolidated Account Statement (CAS) of previous months.
You can access the demat account Consolidated Account Summary by following these steps:
- Visit the NSDL website and click on the NSDL E-CAS option.
- Input the CAS ID, PAN details and verify the Captcha.
- If you do not know your CAS ID, use the option “Know your CAS ID.” Then it will ask for your PAN details, DP ID, Client ID to reveal the CAS ID.
- Using your CAS ID, you will receive your demat Consolidated Account Summary on your registered email.
Components of Demat Account Statement
Demat Account Statement contains every investment details and its related transactions. Demat Account Statements represents: the Statement of accounts and the Statement of holdings
1. Statement of accounts
A Statement of accounts is similar to a bank statement containing detailed entries of debits and credits with descriptions of transactions.
2. Statement of holdings
A statement of holdings is the summary of all the demat securities. Here you will get the following details:
- Folio Number – it is the investor’s unique ID number, used as an identity stamp for all investments.
- Current Balance of the securities along with its following subsets:
– Free Balance that shows the number of Demat units available for trading.
– Locked in Balance shows the number of units that cannot be traded, like pledge securities.
- Pledge Balance or Pledge Setup Balance.
- Fund information with its dividend and growth details.
- Historical values of dividends the investor received till the date.
- Net Asset Value (NAV).
Thus, to start trading online, you can apply for a demat account online and start holding all your securities in a digital or electronic form in an organized manner.
Also read:- Home Equity Loan – Get Cash Out From Your Home