It’s almost time to get out of the classroom and get into the lab. No, we don’t mean those summer school sessions your parents forced you to attend in high school (thankfully, you’re an adult now, so no need to dread school). We’re talking about STEM camp—or STEM summer camp—which stands for science, technology, engineering, and math—the subjects that can get kids excited about their future careers from the moment they understand what they are.
Why attend an overnight camps for STEM
Overnight STEM camps are a great way for kids to learn about science, technology, engineering, and math in a fun and interactive environment. These camps usually have a variety of activities that will keep your child engaged and excited about learning. Plus, they’ll make new friends who share their interests. Here are some of the best STEM camps in Long Island.
What’s the best age to go?
There’s no definitive answer when it comes to the best age for a child to attend stem camp. However, most camps cater to kids aged 10-18. This is generally considered the best age range for these types of programs, as kids in this age group are old enough to understand and absorb the material but still young enough to be excited about learning. That said, there are some stem camps that are specifically geared towards younger children. If your child is interested in attending one of these programs, do some research to see if there’s a camp near you that would be a good fit.
Tips from parents who have attended these programs.
When looking for a STEM camp near you, consider the following tips from parents who have attended these programs:
1. Ask around- your friends, neighbors, and colleagues may know of a great STEM camp in your area.
2. Do your research- read online reviews and compare different programs.
3. Consider your child’s interests- look for a camp that offers activities and lessons in areas that excite your child.
4. Ask about the staff- make sure the counselors are qualified and passionate about teaching STEM subjects.
5. Find out what the ratio of children to adults will be- you want your child to have plenty of individual attention.
Resources you need before your trip (or while you’re there)
If you’re looking for a STEM camp near you, Long Island is a great place to start your search. There are plenty of camps that focus on science, technology, engineering, and math, and they can provide a great opportunity for kids to learn more about these topics. However, before you pack your bags and head off to camp, there are a few things you’ll need to take care of first. Here’s a quick checklist of what you’ll need
How do I prepare my child?
As a parent, you want what’s best for your child. You want them to be happy and you want them to succeed. So when it comes time to pick a summer camp, you want to make sure it’s the right fit. STEM camp is a great option for kids who are interested in science, technology, engineering, and math. But how do you know if it’s the right choice for your child? And once you’ve decided that STEM camp is the way to go, how do you prepare your child for the experience?
Questions you should ask yourself when deciding whether to enroll in an overnight STEM program
1. What are the program’s core values?
2. What will I be doing each day?
3. What is the adult-to-camper ratio?
4. What safety precautions are in place?
5. What type of housing is available?
6. What meals are included?
7. Is transportation provided?